In a four-part series, we bring you recipe videos featuring poultry meats you can set on the table this festive season. For starters, here’s Capella Singapore’s moist and tender tandoori-flavoured turkey.
At Capella, the tandoori-flavoured turkey is cooked briefly in a tandoor oven to sear the meat and impart a smoky flavour. It is then slow-cooked in the conventional oven to achieve a moist, flavoursome bite. At home, even without a tandoor oven, you can do your version of this Asian-inspired turkey with the steps below.
By culinary director David Senia and sous chef Murali Dharan, Capella Singapore
Serves 8 to 10
4-5kg whole Turkey
For the garam masala powder (blend)
1g star anise (2 pieces)
1g black peppercorn
1g coriander seeds
1g green cardamom pods
1g cinnamon sticks (1 stick)
1g cloves (4 to 5 pieces)
For the marinade
125g mustard oil
30g garlic paste
30g ginger paste
20g pink salt
6g garam masala powder
1 nutmeg (grated)
30g red chilli powder
1. Prepare the garam masala powder. Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz till well combined.
2. Prepare the marinade. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well using a whisk.
3. Marinate the turkey with the marinade mixture and leave it aside in the fridge for 24 hrs.
4. Preheat oven to 80˚C. Slow-cook the turkey for about 2.5 hrs, until internal temperature of the turkey reaches 55 ˚C. At this point, blast the oven temperature to 200 ˚C for about 6 to 8 mins, until the internal temperature of the turkey reaches 58 ˚C.
5. Remove turkey from the oven and let it sit for for about 10 mins.
6. Carve turkey and serve with side dishes and condiments such as grilled vegetables, mint sauce and a cucumber-mint raita.
But it’s not just turkey—look out for the rest of our birdy recipes leading up to Christmas!
More recipe videos can be found here, and follow #wndchristmas on Instagram for all things Christmas this festive season!