Fluffy pancakes cradling a rich kaya lava centre—what more can one ask for?
American Pancakes with Kaya
Serves 4, Medium
100g plain flour
20g caster sugar
4g baking powder
15g butter, melted
100g Fong Yit kaya
Maple syrup, to serve
Fresh fruit, to serve
Coconut shavings, to serve
8-cm tart rings*
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside for later use.
- Combine egg and milk in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Make a well in the dry mixing bowl. Using a whisk, slowly mix in the egg mixture into the dry ingredients until all the ingredients are well incorporated. The batter should be smooth and clump-free.
- Add melted butter and kaya to the mixture and whisk to combine. Allow the batter to rest in the fridge for 1 hr before using.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Spray a thin coat of oil on the surface. Grease the tart rings.
- Fill ½ of the tart ring with the pancake batter and let it cook for about 4 mins, until bubbles appear on the surface. Using a teaspoon, scoop some kaya and place it in the middle of the pancake. Top up with another ¼ of the batter, covering the kaya. Cook for another 4 mins, till pancake turns slightly brown. Flip pancake over when the top layer starts to bubble.
- Serve with maple syrup, fresh fruit and coconut shavings.
* If using smaller sized ones, adjust cooking times accordingly.
This post was created in partnership with Fong Yit Kaya. For more information, visit their website.
This recipe was first published in Wine & Dine Cookbook Issue #1.