These tarts are decidedly addictive with their light cheese filling laced with kaya.
Chef Erica Yap’s Kaya Cheese Tart
Makes 8 tarts, Medium
120g icing sugar
288g all-purpose flour
30g almond powder
185g unsalted butter, cold and cubed
For the kaya cheese filling
150g Fong Yit kaya
100g cream cheese, room temperature
25g unsalted butter, softened
50g whipping cream
Mini tart mould
- Sift icing sugar, flour and almond powder together. Cut in butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add egg and knead to form a smooth dough. Wrap dough with cling film and chill for at least 2 hrs before use.
- Preheat oven to 170ºC.
- When ready to bake, roll out the dough to 3-mm thickness and line the tart pans. Use a fork to poke some holes to allow the tart to bake evenly. Blind bake for 10 to 15 mins, until golden brown.
- In an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, mix the kaya and cream cheese till soft. Add in the butter and continue mixing till the ingredients are well incorporated.
- In a clean bowl, whip the cream till soft peaks form. Gradually fold the whipped cream into the kaya mixture. Set aside and chill until ready to use.
- Unmould the tarts and set aside to cool. Pipe in the filling till ¾ full. Kaya cheese tarts are best served chilled.
This post was created in partnership with Fong Yit Kaya. For more information, visit their website.